Good at mathematics…
What is Numicon?
Numicon is a numerical didactic system which is used to develop mathematical skills in children. In Great Britain, it is used in more than 6,000 schools. It was developed by experts from Oxford University, and, in 2015, it was proclaimed the world’s best educational mathematical method (Education Resources Awards [ERA]). Numicon covers the entire field of numbers, basic arithmetic operations, and different mathematical patterns.
Early experience with mathematics
Mathematics is a natural science, so it is important to start getting familiar with it from the earliest childhood. It is very significant because it explains the natural phenomena around us, helps us measure time, the length of night and day, etc. In order to make mathematics interesting to children, it is necessary to awaken and develop their interest in it. That is why games are the best way to get acquainted with mathematics and become friendly with it. Numicon is perfect for this!
Why is Numicon so successful with children?
NUMICON is popular throughout the world, owing to its idea that the teaching and understanding of mathematical concepts should unfold through touch, images, and games. It is used to teach children in a way which is both easy and fun:
• it explains the concept of number and basic arithmetic operations
• it offers many possibilities for playing games
• it allows for teaching at different levels of knowledge
• its elements are compact and easy to use for children
• children with reduced movements can also use it with ease
• its materials are attractive and good-looking
• it is suitable for both collective and individual work
• it develops the capability of mental calculation with no help from any devices
• it stimulates cognitive development and the activation of both brain hemispheres
What elements are acquired with Numicon?
Numicon is an excellent didactic method which is used to develop mathematical skills in children and efficiently explain:
• the concept of number
• the number line
• mental calculation
• how to make patterns
• mathematical thinking
• basic arithmetic operations
• the concept of the decimal system
• the technique of fast calculation
• geometric transformations
A multi-layer approach to teaching (VAK method)
Numicon uses a multi-layer approach to teaching, relying on the VAK method. By consciously using different activities, we instruct children to learn through different senses:
• Perceiving the elements
• Identifying on the basis of colour and shape
• Listening to the instructions from a teacher (mathematical language)
• Answering a question (description of relationships)
• Motor skills and feeling the shape (touch and moving)
• Going around the room (in search of a needed shape)
Who is Numicon meant for?
Numicon is meant for all the children between 3 and 5 years of age who want to get acquainted with the world of numbers and acquire mathematical skills in an easy and entertaining manner.
Workshops are held once or twice a week and each lasts from one to two hours.
Work is conducted in small groups of 6 to 8 students.
Each child is provided with an individual approach and guaranteed success.
It is adapted to working with children with special needs.
Owing to Numicon, children master the basic mathematical concepts faster and more efficiently.
The benefits are noticeable not only upon beginning with school attendance but also at an older age, when students advance to higher grades and secondary school.